Smart Trainer Frequently Asked Questions
Smart Trainers help make riding inside Fun. But, we know that sometimes new technology can seem complicated and frustrating to use. We have been using and selling Smart Trainers at Bicycles East for over 10 years. We are here to help guide you through the purchase, setup, and use so that you can start your fun today. Below is a list of some of our most frequently asked questions.Click to view the Smart Trainers we Stock
What is a Smart Trainer?
As smart trainer supports the rear of your bike and allows you to ride it inside. Although there are lots of ways to use a smart trainer, the most popular way is to use a wireless connection to a computer, tablet, smart phone or Apple TV. An application runs on whichever compatible device you choose, and that application controls the amount of resistance that you feel from your smart trainer. By far the most popular application is a program called Zwift.
What is Zwift?
- Mounting your bike into the trainer is simple and straight forward.
- It is the least expensive Smart Trainer Design (Kickr Snap starts at $499)
- It holds your bike stable, is smooth and quiet.
If using a mountain bike with this trainer design, we do recommend changing the rear tire to a smooth design to smooth and help quiet the ride.
- These Smart Trainers have the smoothest and best road-like feel
- Able to generate much more resistance because there is no tire slippage
- No tire wear because you aren't driving the resistance with your rear wheel
- Very stable
- You don't need to purchase a smooth tire for mountain bikes.
It looks like you stock two direct drive Smart Trainers. What is the difference between the two?
- This is the flagship Smart Trainer from Wahoo Fitness with the latest technology.
- Comes with an 11-speed cassette installed - can be changed if your bike doesn't use 11 speeds
- Is height adjustable to level bikes with front tires sizes 24 inch through 29er
- Legs fold, and it has a handle---makes it easy to carry and move around.
- 16lb Fly Wheel
- Max 2200 watts, Max 20% incline
- As the name suggests...it has the Core features of the Kickr based on previous generation technology
- Does not come with a cassette - we can either transfer your cassette from your rear wheel or you can purchase one (typically $30-$90)
- Fixed non-adjustable height
- Fixed legs that need to be attached when removed from the box - we do this for you at no charge when you pick it up at the store.
- 12lb flywheel
- Max 1800 watts, Max 16% incline